Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Christmas as Clergy

I especially like the impression here that Joseph, Mary and Jesus may have halos or may be getting struck by lightening. Difficult to say.

There are many things that I would do if I had more time and didn't have so many episodes of Rules of Engagement to watch. One of them would be creating some religious Christmas cards that do not make me throw up in my mouth.

As a clergyperson, I always begin the season believing that I should show my integrity as a Christian person by sending Christmas cards that at least tangentially reference the spiritual foundation of the holiday which we are celebrating. But then I go to the store and notice that, yet again, absolutely every single religious Christmas card is either a) hideously ugly, like a colorized version of a poorly animated Children's bible or b) theologically inappropriate or ambiguous or c) HILARIOUS but not appropriate for all audiences.*

Is there not a single theologically aware Hallmark employee in the world who might provide us with something better than the cheeseball crap currently available at our country's finest retailers?



*This one made me chuckle aloud:


No comments:

Post a Comment