Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Following Suit

When I was in seminary, being marginalized was really in. If you were part of a marginalized group, it was as if you had some sort of unspoken prestige in the community of religious studies. Unfortunately, I wasn't very marginalized at that time, except one incident involving a crowd, a poem and a very famous biblical scholar. But that is a story for another time.

I almost forgot all about being marginalized until I recently went to a big department store, walked through the men's section--in which I observed 3,000 suits hanging on racks there--and then asked about the women's suit section. I was led by a distracted employee to a rack with approximately 3 suits on it: one white in size 2, one brown with ruffled edges in size 16 and a few black separates. And then I thought, "Why the hell is the fashion industry marginalizing me right now?!?"

But really, men of the world, do you realize how easy you have it? Your suit section has suits of every color and style, in every size imaginable, adjustable for measurements as specific as the SIZE OF YOUR NECK, available all year round. And we have a size 2, a 16 and ruffles. Women have been in the work force for what, 50 years now? Why the hell hasn't fashion caught up?

I'm going to start a women's suit revolution: every style in every size, all year round. And maybe a few more colorful sweaters for men, too. Fair's fair, right?

I could go online, I guess, where I would find gems like this (perfect for Sunday service, don't you think?):

1 comment:

  1. Literally laughing out loud here. Can you please share this with Beauty Tips for Ministers? I know she would find this hysterical and spot-on.

    ReplyDelete