Sunday, July 11, 2010

I could hear every word...

I once heard a saying that went something like this: Most people, if given the chance, will do the right thing most of the time.

I would like to share a new version of that teaching based on what I have learned in the reception line at the door of the church after the service. It is this: Most people, if given the chance, will say what they mean, somehow.

For those of you outside the church (or even those in it), you would be AMAZED at some of the things people will share as they shake your hand. Mostly, I very much appreciate them, as they are the comments that keep me humble, especially the ones about my preaching.

Now, I am not a great preacher. No, don't argue. I've been told so by very famous experts. But that is okay. I think I am decent (when I try) and I am at peace with that. When I was in seminary, I used to think I was great, but that was before I actually did it for a living. As it turns out, there is a difference between preaching once a month in your seminary gig (and having a month to prepare!) and preaching every week for the whole year. The later is like long distance running, a completely different activity than the 100 meter dash, one which requires patience and training.

But I digress. The real point is the things that people have said to me about my preaching, things that have informed how I see myself as a minister. Some of those who train ministers will tell you that you'll never hear honest feedback on preaching again after you leave seminary, but I've not found that to be true. Here are some of the highlights:

"I really liked your message today. It was so much more authentic than those other sermons you give about books and stuff."

"How many pages was your sermon today?"

"I can't really remember how our old pastor preached. I just remember that it was always really, you know, relevant."

Him: "Your sermon just wasn't very...funny." Me: "Well.....it was about death." Him: "Yeah...I guess. But you're so funny. It just wasn't that funny."

"I love your sermons, Pastor. They're so....short!"

Her: "I'd really like it if you preached more about the bible." Me: "I do preach about the bible." Her: "Oh. I guess I can't tell."

"I think you're going to be an amazing preacher in 5 to 10 years."

And one of my favorites: Her: "I could hear every word you said from the back pew." Me: "Yes, and what did you think about the content?" Her: Pause. "I could hear every word."

1 comment:

  1. Listen, I have enjoyed your preaching whether you like 'em, or your congregation. Keep it up sister!

    ReplyDelete