Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Do This (Well) In Rembrance of Me

So I've noticed a disturbing trend lately that I want to confront (at least to the three people that are potentially reading this blog.) It's this: Low Quality Communion Elements. Twice in the last WEEK I have taken communion and noticed this unfortunate and puzzling change.

The first experience was disappointing in both categories. I got up to the distribution station and was surprised to confront the following two imposters: Pita and White Zinfandel. Yes, it's true. Beringer White Zinfandel has somehow made it into the communion cup. And the pita wasn't just regular, delicious, hummus-scooping pita, but DRY pita, like the kind you got a tuna sandwhich in in the third grade. All washed down with some three-dollar white zinfandel.

The second, and only slightly less offensive, situation involved stale bread and grape Kool-Aid. You've got it. Kool-Aid. Which would explain the intensely purple color of what I was expecting to be grape juice, but indeed it was not grape juice at all, but grape flavored beverage.

Now I've had a variety of things presented to me during communion over the years. Such as the time someone accidently got Cran-Grape instead of regular grape juice, which can be quite surprising to take a swig of, but at least you won't be worried for your urinal tract health! Or the time someone bought bread with whole garlic cloves baked into it, which was a pleasant surprise but made for an uncomfortable coffee hour. But those seemed like isolated incidents, whereas this new phenomenon seems to be a developing habit that must be stopped.

Now the Roman Catholics and the Anglicans, they've got their wafers and strong wine, and I can respect that. But us Protestants, if we're going to go for real bread and grape juice or wine, then we better do it up right. Key words here: Sourdough, French, Paesano, Welches, Pinot Noir, Merlot. I realize we're in a bit of a recession here, but let's get serious: this is Jesus' BODY. It's supposed to nourish us, refresh us, sustain us. And I'm telling you, I don't think Jesus would appreciate some pita and white zinfandel. But maybe it's just me.

p.s. For a great bread recipe that will be sure to satisfy the body and soul see the September 9, 2008 post at www.citylovescountry.com.

3 comments:

  1. that is completely unacceptable. ZINFANDEL? uhhh...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Umm....I'm never calling it anything other than SIN-fandel again.

    ReplyDelete