Monday, July 6, 2009

Tonight we're gonna party like it's 1999!

My tenth high school reunion is taking place this weekend. It's crazy for me to think that a decade has already passed since I walked the halls of my high school, but it's true. Unfortunately, I won't be there to participate in the blessed event. My new job, as it turns out, cramps my ability to travel on the weekend.


So, instead, I wanted to project the following reflections into cyberspace on why I'm glad I'm 28 and no longer 18 in the form of the following top ten list.

"What I've Learned Since High School":
10. Most of what I learned in High School I've now forgotten.
9. Caring what people I don't care about think about me is not a good use of my mental energy.
8. Tighter clothing is not necessarily better clothing.
7. Uncomfortable shoes can cause nothing but blisters and heartache.
6. Subtle, well-thought-out rebellion is much more effective than momentary idiocy.
5. Never tell God what you'll never do.
4. I don't actually know everything.
3. Friendship is never like it is in the movies: it's better and worse in unexpected ways.
2. I actually really like my parents, value their opinion and want to spend time with them.
1. I'm actually pretty great, and unfortunately, I'll never get back all the hours I spent worrying about my flaws.

Perhaps I'll put my 20 year reunion on my calendar now. I can't even fathom how much more attractive and comfortable with myself I'll be by then. They probably won't even recognize me.

1 comment:

  1. Ahem, I believe I have USED that promise: God, I'll never do THAT again IF ............ pretty pathetic isn't it. Why JUST the other day................... hah.

    ReplyDelete