Wednesday, October 14, 2009

TV Immunity

You know, I've always been one of those softie, flaming liberal types who loves to get on the bandwagon of all types of progressive programs to change the world. But sometimes, usually due to a discussion with Mr. Love-it-or-leav-itt and his fiscal and political sensibility, I come across something that challenges my innate senses of all things liberal.

This time, however, it wasn't Mr. Love-it-or-leav-itt. It was network television.

Now, many times in my life I have, with my liberal cohort, condemned the violent and sexual content of TV, especially TV for kids. It's influencing them, we've said. That's why they are so violent. They see violence on TV and they think it's cool and want to be violent themselves. Same with sex.

With these assumptions, comes the natural conclusion that what we see on TV influences us, that what we see on TV, we do in our own lives.

However, if this is true, can someone please explain to me how I can be sitting in my chair watching "The Biggest Loser" and simulatneously deciding to have a glass of red wine and an ice cream Sundae?

No comments:

Post a Comment