Thursday, April 21, 2011

Announcing My Candidacy

Warning: I'm about to get political on you for a minute. Because I'm officially announcing my candidacy for public office (Eat it, Trump!). Though the exact nature of said office and how I will run for it still remains up in the air, I've officially decided on my campaign slogan:

Taxes: They Pay for Shit. 

That's right. And that's it. And I'm going to be SO popular.

But seriously, let's get real America. Taxes pay for shit. I know no one wants to pay them, but no one wants to take out the trash or do the dishes or clean the toilet. But we suck it up, because otherwise the whole place becomes a stinking mess.

I get the feeling that most of the folks out there want to have health care for the elderly (especially when THEY are elderly) and funding for the military and firefighters who show up on time and a justice system that doesn't solve things by coming to shoot you in the middle of the night. And SOME people even want to have a government that supports the arts and cares for a woman's reproductive health and helps children at risk get a head start before they're in school. But NO ONE WANTS TO PAY MORE TAXES.

Which is just silly. And impossible. So thus my campaign.

The reality recently came to light that 47% of Americans paid no income tax this year. Now, this is a nuanced issue and not as easy as making those 47% just pay taxes. (Read a very good piece here on why this is so complicated.) But the simple fact is that you can't keep spending money on the things you want without the income to support it. And those of us that can afford it (yes that means you top 5%, but it means me too!) need to pony up. Not because we want to, but because we should.

To inspire you, here are some words from one of my role-model political regimes: The Bartlett White House. (If only they were real!).


Bumper stickers and lawn signs will be available soon......

No comments:

Post a Comment