Saturday, April 11, 2009

When is "Fat" going to be the new black?




I've been waiting for a while now for a fashion trend to sweep the nation: fat as the new black. Seriously, when is plump going to come back into style? Almost everyone in the 16th century dug chubby, pale chicks, and I must say I can't wait for those days to return. Then those of us who are not naturally thin pixies could relax and have another cookie just for the fun of it.

For my part, I eat relatively healthily (although I do LOVE big fancy meals...but try to save them for the weekends), and try to incorporate lean meats and veggies. I limit my alcohol and caffeine intake and have switched completely to Splenda in my coffee (thanks M!). I exercise a few days a week and walk here and there. But all this is no match for an aging body, a slowing metabolism, and a stressful lifestyle, all of which have contributed to making me quite well-insulated for this chilly climate. And I'd like not to have to worry about that absolutely every minute of every day.

Now, let me be clear: I fully understand that the obesity epidemic in America is a terrifying and growing problem, and I put my full support behind regular exercise and healthy eating. For that reason, I don't think mortal obesity is appropriate or attractive. However, I do hope that sometime in the near future "well-rounded" will become the "in" thing for bodies not just college applicants.

1 comment:

  1. Ditto, lady-friend. I just had an extra cookie so I can be ahead of the, ahem, curve.

    xoxo,

    Dina

    ReplyDelete