Friday, September 17, 2010

Old News

Bad news. I think I might be getting old. No seriously. Old.


The first evidence of this was that when I woke up this morning I noticed, right around my eyes, something I've never noticed before: wrinkles. Not big ones, but they are definitely there. Which seems impossible. Because I'm not old enough to have wrinkles. Except that apparently I am, because I have some. I immediately emailed a friend to see if SHE had wrinkles and if so what she was going to do about it. But I haven't heard back. So I've been occupying myself with images of me at 50 looking like this:



Which wouldn't be the worst thing in the world, as this lady looks pretty awesome. But still. Am I old enough to have wrinkles?

And then I thought of OTHER subtle indications that I might be getting old. Like the fact that I was INCENSED that our upstairs neighbor was having a party and playing loud music a few weekends ago. How disrespectful, I said. How inSENsitive. We should go tell her to turn the music down and stop being such a jerk, I suggested. J-Dogg kindly pointed out that it was only 10 p.m. And that it was Saturday. And that I was getting old.

It's all starting to make sense. Coming home last Friday from a film premiere at the MFA (and, let's be honest, some drinks afterward at the Oak Room), Mr. LIOLI and I somehow got stuck in a swarm of local college students on their first Friday night out on the town. Because I am apprently now OLD and rarely go "out on the town" at the same time as 20-somethings, I had forgotten about how overwhelmingly ridiculous they are. A group of what seemed like 200 of them mobbed our T car, completely unaware of the conductor SCREAMING into the PA system that there was in fact no more room on the train, and immediately preceded to talk loudly to each other and play with their iPhones. While trying to subtly express my annoyance to Mr. L, I had a sudden flash of insight: I used to BE one of these people....totally self-absorbed, unaware of the world around me and having a great time. What's so different about me now, I wondered? Well I got old. And stopped being ridiculous (well, at least decreased in ridiculousness a bit). And grew wrinkles.

My father might suggest that I should be thankful for all the wisdom I have developed by being older. (He likes to say on every birthday that he's amazed that his level of wisdom just keeps increasing all the time. The wisdom....it's ASTONISHING, he says. ) But I don't know if I'm sold. I might consider sticking with naive and smooth-skinned. Or maybe try to purchase some wrinkle cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment